Ferry Farm is situated on the north bank of the Rappahannock River in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Augustine Washington, George’s father, bought the property in 1738. Augustine, his wife Mary Ball Washington, and their five children moved to the property later that year. Augustine Washington died in 1742 when George was 11, leaving Mary to take care of the farm, George, his sister Betty, and his other siblings. Mary continued to live on the farm until 1772 when she moved to town to be closer to Betty.
More recently in 2008, archeologists found and excavated the foundation of the original Washington House. Through the last seven seasons of excavation, archeologists have uncovered thousands of artifacts near the foundation of the Washington House.